Criterias for a logger

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:43 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM
I know this project does not seem to have moved a bit since years, but I have searched a lot and have not found one better matching my criterias, for the record, here are the criterias:
  • flushes log to file write away, or handles an application crash so that information is not lost.
  • no ugly use of #defines for calling the logger (check, frankly this disqualifies most. I know why they use it, and it's not worth it, a programmer got to love his code, not get repulsed by it)
  • thread safe (check)
  • compilable with vs2012 (check, this leaves out the most active logger project right now, spdlog that requires 2013+)
  • simple (check, simple enough)
  • log levels, including turning off completely (needed)
  • multiple files (needed)
I've not really used codeplex, can I fork and do pullrequest like git? I saw fork mentioned...
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2016 at 12:58 AM
The license is pretty permissive (I don't need credit anywhere except in my specific source files) so you are welcome to fork this code with no legal problems. Unfortunately, I now only have VS 2015 on my machine, so checking in new code now would mess up compatibility with VS 2012 & 2013 - any project changes I make would be checked in with a 2015 solution file. My suggestion is download the source ZIP and set it up for compiling on your PC. I specifically made this project so it does not have external library dependencies (although I started out using BOOST).
Aug 13, 2016 at 4:06 AM
I'm in a bit of dip now, not coding anything, but I'm leaning towards upgrading as well. The cpp compatibility of vs 2012 with the latest in standards is horrible.